We wanted to share the exciting news that this year’s Children’s Hospital Los Angeles Gala: Noche de Niños raised more than $2.6 million for the children and families we serve.
On Saturday, October 20, the Event Deck at L.A. LIVE was transformed into an enchanted forest, bringing together more than 1,000 people to honor The Walt Disney Company, NBA superstar Pau Gasol, and supermodel, television host, mom and designer Heidi Klum for their commitment to kids.
|View the Videos
|If you love Disney, Pau
and Heidi as much as
we do, please comment
Events like Noche de Niños are characterized by careful planning, but the most memorable moments are always spontaneous. Some of our favorite moments of the night happened when:
- Master of Ceremonies Tom Bergeron received some unexpected assistance at the beginning of the program from Jamie Lee Curtis, Melanie Griffith and Heidi Klum when this trio of lovely ladies—and close friends—ascended the stage to help him get the crowd’s attention.
- Event Chair Tim Leiweke surprised Junior Ambassador Javier Arreola by announcing his donation of $100,000 to match the funds raised by our Junior Ambassadors.
- Melanie Griffith shared the names of the young winners of our Facebook art contest, whose artwork graced each honoree’s Courage to Care award.
- The Walt Disney Company Senior Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer Jay Rasulo shared his perspective as a former parent of a hospitalized child when accepting the Corporate Courage to Care Award on behalf of the 150,000 people who work at The Walt Disney Company. Disney’s work with Children’s Hospital Los Angeles has spanned nearly 30 years!
|I know how important great doctors and great staff can be-they provide the care and consideration that parents need most in that moment of their lives.|
- Phil Jackson introduced Pau Gasol while the crowd rose to their feet in a standing ovation.
- Heidi Klum was introduced by three of our patients, who needed a little help finding her award!
- Five for Fighting front man John Ondrasik donned an L.A. Kings jersey in honor of AEG and played a heartfelt rendition of Superman to close out the night as the video screens showed images of the real heroes—our patients, doctors and nurses.
The Story of Noche de Niños
A terminal cancer patient, 11-year-old Dustin Meraz’s last wish was to inspire grown-ups to have the courage to care about kids in need. His wish inspired our biennial red carpet gala celebrating the hospital’s true heroes—patients like Dustin, their exceptional caregivers and the supporters who help make miracles happen every day.
Since the inception of this star-studded event, more than $10 million has been raised to support the hospital’s most critical needs, including patient care, support for families in need and pediatric medical research.